General Manager - industrial technology for oil and gas
The global US based business
A well established company that has provided highly engineered industrial solutions for more than 75 years. A global provider of flow control systems and industrial compressors. They are a portfolio company of the private equity firms BC Partners and The Carlyle Group.
- It has more than 1500 employees and 11 manufacturing facilities.
- It is well positioned in emerging markets and derives sales from over 150 countries.
- It supports complex, large-scale installations within the oil and gas, energy, petrochemical, chemical, industrial manufacturing, construction, mining, and water and wastewater treatment industries.
- China, India, Brazil, Russia and Southeast Asia account for approximately 40 percent of revenues.
- Leaders are sophisticated influencers and operators yet are hands-on. There are no ‘ivory towers’.
The UK business
The site is responsible for product development through to delivering final products to customers globally.
- The East Sussex site has 90 employees within the U.K operation.
- Lean practices are becoming part of everyday life.
- Is well supported by and is well regarded by leaders in the US parent company.
- It is seen as a leading site that is contributing to the wider company in securing performances that surpass expectations.
- Departments include: planning, projects, applications, engineering, supply chain and manufacturing. With the supporting functions: finance, quality, EHS and human resources.
This vacancy was created due to the previous General Manager being transitioned into leading the new product development team. The objective for the UK business was to develop and manufacture a diverse range of products for the global business. Sales was done by a global team and so the UK was purely responsible for developing, manufacturing and supplying products.
Following their acquisition, the UK team needed a people oriented leader to help them transition into the new culture and ways of working. The role required an experienced manufacturing and supply chain leader who also had a strong commercial acumen. The key focus was on delivering operational excellence, creating robust business reporting and driving high profitable growth.
We took a ‘four-pronged’ approach and gained referrals from our own network, advertised, conducted a LinkedIn campaign (including using developing a creative social media campaign to raise awareness of the vacancy) and began a research-based headhunt focusing on leaders from product manufacturers within the oil and gas industry.
The remote location proved a challenge and with few candidates living within commuting distance we set about identifying individuals who would consider re-location. This search involved engaging with candidates in the UK and also based internationally.
This project was focused on exciting candidates with the potential and autonomy of the role. We knew we would need to research and talk to a high number of potential candidates and this proved to be the case.
Our process generated a lot of industry insights that we were able to present to our client which enabled us to shape a strong longlist and shortlist together.
We provided a strong shortlist of four candidates that were taken through 3 interviews with our client in the UK and the US. A successful appointment was made.
TESTIMONIAL FROM THE HEAD OF HUMAN RESOURCES
“Was a pleasure working with Doug. Extremely professional and we secured a fantastic GM!”