More and more SME companies are taking the brave step to expand their company internationally. Get it right and there are rich rewards available, get it wrong and…….
We have been partnering clients to establish new subsidiaries internationally for over 15 years and so here are our top 10 tips to ensure your success.
- Do you have a focused strategy and objective for the subsidiary you want to establish? Is there a market for your products or services? Have you created a robust Job Description? Do you understand the country and the commercial opportunities for you?
- Do you understand the employment environment of the country you are planning to recruit in (employment law, salaries, typical recruitment methods, typical notice periods etc...). Have you lined up an employment lawyer to write a contract?
- Do your competitors have offices in the target country and if so where? What is your barrier to entry?
- Ensure you have a website you can direct candidates to. It is common for international candidates to be suspicious of a recruitment / headhunt phone call. Websites serve as credibility for you and the recruitment process.
- Prepare written information that can be sent to candidates. Even the most fluent English speakers will welcome information they can read at their own pace.
- You must interview in the target country. This will demonstrate your commitment to the recruitment and the country.
- Plan more time for interviews than you would in the UK. Even the most fluent of bi-lingual speakers will take longer to interview. Interviewing abroad is an exhausting process, plan for it!
- Use Behaviour Profiling or Psychometric assessments to “get under their skin” of your candidates. These tools are more effective than interviewing in their second language.
- Maintain good, regular communication with candidates ensuring that they understand your recruitment process and time-scales. Frequent communication is also critical during the offer process and notice period.
- Ensure you will succeed recruiting abroad by partnering a Headhunter with extensive International Recruitment experience. Incidentally Collingwood Search and Selection Ltd’s Consultants have been recruiting internationally for over 15 years!